I'm almost done with Shadow of Night...I won't give a run down of the book until I'm done, so instead I'm going to discuss a little show called Toddlers and Tiaras - some may be aware of this show as it has been on for a few years now on TLC. I watch this show on a regular basis - 1. Because I can't help watching a train wreck happen 2. Because there's nothing else on and reality tv can be pretty entertaining 3. I can't understand how some parents can put their children through something so grueling and cruel as a beauty pageant.
Now, you may think that because I watch the show I condone this sort of behavior and in turn I am one of the many viewers that keep shows like this on tv. But, let me explain a little bit. My mind works in ways that make it attracted to things that I can not explain or understand - for example I'm fascinated by the Holocaust, beauty pageants and witches, vampires and werewolves (not the Twilight kind either). Beauty pageants on the one hand can boost confidence, money that can be put towards college and the ability to not have stage fright. Some of the children that participate in this pageant love it, and are in control of what they do - some may also be in charge of their parents and I call them spoiled brats. But some of them are forced to do it for their parents who put them in pageants to live vicariously through them. The next time I hear a little girl say something along the lines of "If I don't win my mommy will cry" or "I have to win for mommy" I'm going to throw something at the tv. It's one thing for the child to enjoy it but a total other thing for the child to only do it for the parents. It's just horrible.
I'd also like to add that any reality show usually breeds more reality shows. It's a cruel cycle that us as viewers find pleasure in someone elses life and/or drama. I remember when the only reality show on tv was the Real World and Road Rules, and they did challenges and it was fun. But I think now it has gotten extremely out of hand. I'm obviously one of those people who watch these shows to make my life seem better, but why can't we just live our own lives instead of living through a person like Snookie or JWoww. What happened to real scripts? - I think i'll actually get to the matter of that in another post because in all seriousness I'm getting really annoyed with the movie and television business recycling what has already been out there. But like I said, I'll discuss that next. Night all!! :)
Now, you may think that because I watch the show I condone this sort of behavior and in turn I am one of the many viewers that keep shows like this on tv. But, let me explain a little bit. My mind works in ways that make it attracted to things that I can not explain or understand - for example I'm fascinated by the Holocaust, beauty pageants and witches, vampires and werewolves (not the Twilight kind either). Beauty pageants on the one hand can boost confidence, money that can be put towards college and the ability to not have stage fright. Some of the children that participate in this pageant love it, and are in control of what they do - some may also be in charge of their parents and I call them spoiled brats. But some of them are forced to do it for their parents who put them in pageants to live vicariously through them. The next time I hear a little girl say something along the lines of "If I don't win my mommy will cry" or "I have to win for mommy" I'm going to throw something at the tv. It's one thing for the child to enjoy it but a total other thing for the child to only do it for the parents. It's just horrible.
I'd also like to add that any reality show usually breeds more reality shows. It's a cruel cycle that us as viewers find pleasure in someone elses life and/or drama. I remember when the only reality show on tv was the Real World and Road Rules, and they did challenges and it was fun. But I think now it has gotten extremely out of hand. I'm obviously one of those people who watch these shows to make my life seem better, but why can't we just live our own lives instead of living through a person like Snookie or JWoww. What happened to real scripts? - I think i'll actually get to the matter of that in another post because in all seriousness I'm getting really annoyed with the movie and television business recycling what has already been out there. But like I said, I'll discuss that next. Night all!! :)
Comments
Post a Comment