I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan, and so when J.K. Rowling's new book, A Casual Vacancy, came out, I had to read it. But, it didn't appeal to me. I have no clue about government and politics and especially about the English government, and so I haven't been able to read it all the way through. Though I could definitely tell the voice of the book was all Rowling - with her word play, her character names and description. It just wasn't my cup of tea. :(
Her new book though, under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith, is AMAZING!!! I could barely put it down. It's a detective/crime novel set in London based around Detective Cormoran Strike - I seriously love her creative names, always have and always will. Anyway, when word got out that Robert Galbraith was really J.K. Rowling, I immediately went to the book store and picked it up.
*Just a word to the wise - I hadn't been in a book store in, what felt like ages, because I have been trying to save money to pay bills so I can move out of my parents house. Books are an obsession of mine. I could spend hours and hours in a book store and spend so much money. So if I was frequenting bookstores as I used to, I probably would have picked it up out of pure interest of the title, the first page and the description - because that's usually what I look for in books, unless I already like the author.*
The Cuckoo's Calling is a must read for all who love crime novels and like to do a little detective work yourself. Detective Cormoran Strike - ex-military, newly single, down on his luck broke and living in his law office - thought that he would soon be living out on the street until Attorney John Bristow walked in asking Strike to solve the murder of his sister - supermodel Lula Landry whose death had been determined suicide 3 months prior by police. Bristow insisted his sister was murdered, and Strike, though not believing he could prove murder, took the case anyway.
Galbraith/Rowling spins the tale so the reader doesn't know up from down. Who killed Lula? Her boyfriend Evan Duffield who was known for domestic violence and drugs? Her uncle Tom Landry who everyone knew hated Lula? Her neighbor Freddy Bestigui who was obsessed with Lula and had many violent tendencies toward women? Or did Lula truly jump to her death because she had a history of mental illness and was depressed? The questions I had throughout this book were slowly answered with the help of attention to detail, description and Strike's expertise, of course. I think I pieced it all together right at the last minute, but it was well worth the suspense and I can't wait for the next case!
If you like J.K. Rowling, crime novels or just looking for something interesting to read, please pick up this book. You will not regret it! :)

Comments
Post a Comment