Skip to main content

Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks




I love Nicholas Sparks! I know, you're thinking it's probably because I'm a girl, and you would probably be right. Most guys do not sit around reading a bunch of novels or watch movies that involve romance. And that's all that Sparks rights about. Every one of his books involves a man and woman who are complete strangers who wind up falling in love, with some sort of plot twist where the two find it hard to stay together due to illness or an ex. Safe Haven is no different.

Katie is the new girl in a small North Carolina town - the setting for most of Sparks' books. She is quiet and shy, keeping to herself although she works at the busiest restaurant in town and its hard for anyone in a small town not to know everything about everyone. She reluctantly becomes friends with Jo, her next door neighbor, and Alex, a widowed store owner with two small children, and slowly begins to let down her guard. As she begins to make a life in this small community and grows attached to Alex and his family, her past that she has been running away from comes back to haunt her. With the help of a friend, she must choose to keep running or face her past, however hard or whatever the consequence, to choose love.

 
“Love doesn’t mean anything if you’re not willing to make a commitment, and you have to think not only about what you want, but about what he wants. Not just now, but in the future.” - Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
 
 
After reading Nicholas Sparks for a few years now, I knew that it was inevitable for me to shed a few tears, or gasp in horror at some unfortunate events that befall the hero/heroine and tries to keep them apart. But again, I did not see this conclusion coming AT ALL!! Sparks really knows how to capture his audience and the hearts of readers - young and old, male or female - and leave them guessing as to what is going to happen next. Will they end up together? Or will the past force the two to part ways?
 
If you like Nicholas Sparks, especially if you enjoyed The Notebook, you should definitely buy this book. I would also suggest seeing the movie, but I read the book first - I made that mistake with The Notebook. I watched the movie before reading it and now when I try reading it, I can't finish it because what happens in the movies is not always what happened in the book.  I'll see for myself when I watch Safe Haven, and you'll hear all about the differences. Stay tuned! ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Last night I watched Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close , the 2011  film starring Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock and newcomer Thomas Horn. I knew the film was going to be about September 11th, but I was not expecting this - a 9 year old's journey through New York City to find the lock to a key left by his father who died in the World Trade Center, is what the previews said, but it was a lot more than that. It was a sons struggle to find himself and cope with the loss of his father in his own way. Not only does he meet many different people of different backgrounds, but along the way he realizes that his father left him one great life lesson and that he can make it on his own without him. It could have done with more mother-son time, because Sandra bullock is barely in the movie, but I think that was the point. The son didn't need his mother, though she was there, in the background. He knew she was there and so did the viewer, but not until the end. The major role definitely goes ...

Shadow of Night

So I finished the book Shadow of Night ...it was amazing! I can not wait until the third installment comes out and I hope that its soon. The character development of Matthew and Diana is great. Throughout the book they find out more about themselves and each other, even though they are decades in the past. Matthew, because he lived in that time period, has to revert back to his old ways and the reader can see how different was in the past compared to the present. When time traveling, you learn that you are not supposed to alter time. Matthew and Diana left an important mark on Elizabethan London and the rest of history. Historical figures come and go throughout the book, such as Christopher Marlowe, Walter Raleigh, Queen Elizabeth and a brief mention of William Shakespeare. Diana was there to learn more about her magic, but only developed her power towards the end when a surprising character appears and helps rid her of her fear of magic. There are plenty more characters in the book, ...

Witchy Tiaras

I'm almost done with Shadow of Night ...I won't give a run down of the book until I'm done, so instead I'm going to discuss a little show called Toddlers and Tiaras - some may be aware of this show as it has been on for a few years now on TLC. I watch this show on a regular basis - 1. Because I can't help watching a train wreck happen 2. Because there's nothing else on and reality tv can be pretty entertaining 3. I can't understand how some parents can put their children through something so grueling and cruel as a beauty pageant. Now, you may think that because I watch the show I condone this sort of behavior and in turn I am one of the many viewers that keep shows like this on tv. But, let me explain a little bit. My mind works in ways that make it attracted to things that I can not explain or understand - for example I'm fascinated by the Holocaust, beauty pageants and witches, vampires and werewolves (not the Twilight kind either). Beauty pageants ...