First let me tell you that I know nothing about Wall Street. Probably less than nothing. I know nothing about stocks and when I was asked to do my 401k I stared blankly at the page because I had no clue what to do with it - and still don't if I'm being honest. But The Wolf of Wall Street, a memoir by Jordan Belfort, is not just about stocks and bonds and all that rubbish. It's mostly about his drug, alcohol and sex addiction, his rise to the top and his epic fall to the very bottom. There's a lot of partying, sex, drugs, but alas, no rock and roll.
Jordan Belfort's quick rise to fame was his charm, wit and brains. Yes, he was very smart. He knew how to get people to do things, to move, to believe in him and what he could achieve. He did achieve a lot, millions and millions of dollars through stocks and bonds. Though, he did a lot of it through lying and embezzlement, which the latter he went to jail for. But before all of that, Belfort shows us his family side, his strategy, why he did the things he did. Though mostly, I couldn't fathom why he would rip apart millions of dollars worth of furniture in search for a drug that couldn't have possibly fallen through the fabric into the cushion. But then again, an addicts mind is a scary, confusing place.
Belfort creates a world within a reality that existed. He did what he wanted, spent all the money he wanted - with his wife's help - and did it without thinking twice because he was the "wolf of wall street" and he could. Everything he does is calculated. He's paranoid about getting caught but doesn't think about the consequences of if he does. He used his family to smuggle money to his Swiss bank accounts, and though he thinks about what would happen if they get caught, he thinks of other ways to do it and then believes that he's safe. He talks about plausible deniability, whereas he always has this document or that document that states what he is doing is legit.
The book was definitely a good read. I couldn't put it down. The next thing I have to do is watch the movie to compare it to the book - and I'm sure it's going to be more entertaining because it's going to show the craziness that Belfort talks about - the prostitutes, the drugs, the parties and everything in between. I also want to add that I'm surprised he only overdosed once with all the drugs that he took day by day. There was part of the book were he listed over 10 different types of drugs that he took in one day, all of which he took a couple of doses of. Wicked crazy!
For all of you who have not seen or read the book yet, I'd say definitely do it. Here's the trailer to the movie for those of you who'd rather watch the movie - ENJOY :)
Comments
Post a Comment