Skip to main content

Girl Meets World vs Boy Meets World

.

As a die-hard Boy Meets World fan from way back in the day, I was absolutely ecstatic when I heard that they were making a new series with the original cast entitled Girl Meets WorldBoy Meets World premiered in 1993 when I was 8 years old. It showcased the life of Cory Matthews (Ben Savage), Topanga Lawrence (Danielle Fishel), Shawn Hunter (Rider Strong) and Eric Matthews (Will Friedle). Though at first, the story was more about Cory and Shawn, best friends and total opposites, later it grew to be about Cory and Topanga's love story and their friends. The show brought so many adolescent issues to light in such a way that, even now, it still stays true and hits close to home. I can watch reruns of the show and never get sick of it - Reruns can be seen on ABC Family.

I watched the premiere of Girl Meets World with the anticipation of it being exactly as its predecessor. I was not disappointed, though I felt it could have been better and still has potential. Girl Meets World is about Cory and Topanga Matthews and their children Riley (Rowan Blanchard) and Auggie (August Maturo). Riley is the main character, going through the same things that her parents went through as an adolescent. She even has a rebel, punky friend like Shawn, Maya Hart (Sabrina Carpenter).

In the premiere episode, Riley finds herself wanting to use the Subway and stop living in her father's world. I found that quite interesting, in the fact that the show was Cory passing on his world - the boys world - to his daughter so now its girl's world. Nice twist. Cory is now a teacher at his daughter's school and Topanga is a lawyer. The show is going to have guest appearances by the original cast members. Mr. Feeny (William Daniels) already made an appearance in the premiere episode and I started tearing up. I love Mr. Feeny, what a great role model he was/is.

Anyways, what I didn't like about the episode was that 1. Why aren't they in the same school? 2. How did they get to New York? 3. If they are now in New York, did all of the original cast members move with them and why? Stuart Minkus' (Lee Norris) child Farkle (Corey Fogelmanis) is in the same class as Riley, Harley Keiner (Danny McNulty) is the janitor...it's just too weird for them all to have moved away to the same city.

But again, this series definitely has potential. The episode shows that they are going to repeat past BMW episodes, such as the first episode where the classroom goes on strike about not doing homework. Do you remember the episode where Cory and Shawn go on strike for the same reason? I don't want them to repeat all of the episodes, but I hope they stick with the same material to showcase actual trials and tribulations of adolescence. I shall continue to watch and see where this show is going to go next and hopefully it will be a success like BMW was. For the good of previous fans and new ones. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Last night I watched Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close , the 2011  film starring Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock and newcomer Thomas Horn. I knew the film was going to be about September 11th, but I was not expecting this - a 9 year old's journey through New York City to find the lock to a key left by his father who died in the World Trade Center, is what the previews said, but it was a lot more than that. It was a sons struggle to find himself and cope with the loss of his father in his own way. Not only does he meet many different people of different backgrounds, but along the way he realizes that his father left him one great life lesson and that he can make it on his own without him. It could have done with more mother-son time, because Sandra bullock is barely in the movie, but I think that was the point. The son didn't need his mother, though she was there, in the background. He knew she was there and so did the viewer, but not until the end. The major role definitely goes ...

Shadow of Night

So I finished the book Shadow of Night ...it was amazing! I can not wait until the third installment comes out and I hope that its soon. The character development of Matthew and Diana is great. Throughout the book they find out more about themselves and each other, even though they are decades in the past. Matthew, because he lived in that time period, has to revert back to his old ways and the reader can see how different was in the past compared to the present. When time traveling, you learn that you are not supposed to alter time. Matthew and Diana left an important mark on Elizabethan London and the rest of history. Historical figures come and go throughout the book, such as Christopher Marlowe, Walter Raleigh, Queen Elizabeth and a brief mention of William Shakespeare. Diana was there to learn more about her magic, but only developed her power towards the end when a surprising character appears and helps rid her of her fear of magic. There are plenty more characters in the book, ...

Witchy Tiaras

I'm almost done with Shadow of Night ...I won't give a run down of the book until I'm done, so instead I'm going to discuss a little show called Toddlers and Tiaras - some may be aware of this show as it has been on for a few years now on TLC. I watch this show on a regular basis - 1. Because I can't help watching a train wreck happen 2. Because there's nothing else on and reality tv can be pretty entertaining 3. I can't understand how some parents can put their children through something so grueling and cruel as a beauty pageant. Now, you may think that because I watch the show I condone this sort of behavior and in turn I am one of the many viewers that keep shows like this on tv. But, let me explain a little bit. My mind works in ways that make it attracted to things that I can not explain or understand - for example I'm fascinated by the Holocaust, beauty pageants and witches, vampires and werewolves (not the Twilight kind either). Beauty pageants ...