I've never read Jennifer Weiner before, but know that she writes what most people call: beach reads - a book that's easy and fun to read. No one wants to read Anna Karenina on the beach, right? So you need something - I don't want to say dumbed down, but yes, dumbed down. Something that everyone can understand, laugh about, maybe even cry a little. I bought this book a while ago at my local Books-A-Million on a sales rack and it's been sitting collecting dust in my book shelf with numerous other books for months.
I haven't been reading a lot lately - sad, but true - but I've been busy and was reading Dan Brown for months. It's not that I couldn't get into it, but if you've read Brown, he has so much facts in there that you really have to pay attention and reading at work or while you're renovating a house, I put it down then have to go back and read a chapter or two before I can remember what happened. I also can't read more than one book at a time. I just don't feel that it's fair to the book I'm reading to cheat on it with another book. What if I like that book better and then I forget the other book I was reading and it just sits there sad and lonely because I'm enjoying another book? It just isn't right. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I had to finish Dan Brown first. I chose to read Good In Bed over the other books clogging my shelves, because it's easy to read like I said above, and I just wanted to not have to think too much when reading. Especially after reading about Robert Langdon and his journey through the Inferno - not literally obviously, but that's the book I was reading. I needed something lighter, much lighter.
Good In Bed was a good choice. I couldn't put it down, but when I did I was able to pick up right where I left off. I could relate to the main character Cannie Shapiro it made my heart bleed. She was a writer - which I always aspire to be but don't do as much as I should - and had problems with love - like I had in the past until I found my Dr. K.
Cannie is witty, smart and a successful writer at The Philadelphia Examiner. She's also based off of Jennifer Weiner herself, which I love. It makes Cannie seem more real. Cannie just broke up with her long-time boyfriend of five years and has started to regret it, especially when she reads an article in Moxie called "Loving a Larger Woman" with his byline underneath. He just so happens to be the new male writer on staff and wrote his first column about Cannie - which he calls C. What follows is a struggle for Cannie to try and win him back - that undeserving bastard - try to lose weight, and ultimately finding herself in the process.
I recommend this book for any woman. It's a great book that will have you laughing and crying until the very end. Pretty sure that Cannie is my best friend at this point, don't you want her to be yours?
Comments
Post a Comment