Divergent, based on the first book in the trilogy by Veronica Roth. Main characters are Tris (Shailene Woodley) and Four (Theo James). It's set in a future Chicago, where the people are grouped into five different factions: 1. Candor - the honest 2. Abnegation - the selfless 3. Dauntless - the brave 4. Amity - the peaceful 5. Erudite - the intelligent. Each year, all sixteen year olds must take a test that will decide their fate. Will they stay in the faction they were born and raised into, or will they choose another, forever leaving their family and friends behind to make a new life for themselves.
Tris was born Beatrice into Abnegation. She changed her name to Tris when she chose Dauntless. When starting in a new faction, everyone gets their slate wiped clean and has to prove themselves. But there is something different about Tris, something she learns to hide from everyone, even those she trusts. One of those people, is Four.
Woodley and James have a great chemistry on screen. This may also be one of my favorite movies Woodley has been in. I watched her show The Secret Life of the American Teenager religiously and she was amazing in that. This role, though, is a lot different than her role as Amy Juergens- the only similarities are age. The character, Tris, is mature, brave and knowledgeable. Woodley has been in other movies, but none that I can compare it to because I haven't seen them. She is a great actress - diverse. James, on the other hand, this is the first film of his that I've watched. He is a dreamboat though. ;) What I can say though, for this role, I thought he did really well. At first he was dauntless, an instructor for the newbies and then his feeling for Tris began to grow. They fell in love and he does everything he can to protect her and she him. Their love is what saves them and their family.
There's a lot that goes on in this film, but I don't want to give it away in fear of ruining it. It's definitely a must see. There's action, romance, and keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Though I usually always read the book before watching the movie, I did not do it this time. But I just downloaded all three books (Divergent, Insurgent and Allegiant) on my Nook, so I will be reading those next. Stay tuned for a better, more in-depth review. ;) Until then, keep on watching, reading and listening. Ciao!

Comments
Post a Comment